The holy spirit (fire) baptism.
The easiest way to have an upper hand in spiritual battles is by having a stable relationship with the Spirit of the Living God.
The Holy Spirit will go from being in you, to being with you and then upon you.
This process is progressive depending on whether you will grow spiritually and that brings us to the levels of the Holy Spirit i.e
1. Watching level.
2. Ankle level.
3. Knee-deep level.
4. Waist-deep level.
5. Immersion level.
(Check out our article on the levels of the Holy Spirit)
When we get born again, we invite the spirit to get in us after which He baptises us with fire and stays with us.
The Holy Spirit then comes upon us and that's where gifts start to manifest.
When the Spirit of God entrusts you with a gift, be careful to use it because gifts are fiery.
Anointing is so fiery that Elisha fell ill because of that fire. When Gehazi fell back, Elisha did not find a successor.
Remember he had received a double portion of the Spirit that rested on Elijah. He, therefore, ought to have done what Elijah had.
In Matt 3 and John 3, there is a promise that we would be baptised with fire.
Acts 2:3 is actually a confirmation of the Word of God in the above gospels by Matthew and John. The Word says, "And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. (Acts 2:3)
What does the fire of the Holy Spirit do?
The Holy Spirit softens the heart of a sinner and he/she repents.
Whenever and wherever you go wrong, as a believer, the Holy Spirit convicts of that
wrong and this ensures an upright walk.
1. The fire of the Holy Spirit consumes. It burns out the sinful nature and unnecessary stuff in our lives.
Whether it is anger, pride or whatever sinful attitude, the fire of the Spirit consumes and destroys all ungodly foundations.
2. The fire purifies. The finest gold has to go through fire.
Job 23:10 "But he knows the way that I take; when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold."
Psalms 12:6 "And the words of the Lord are flawless, like silver purified in a crucible, like gold refined seven times."
Jesus had to go be tempted after His 40-days fast.
Sometimes, we will be put through wilderness so that we can come forth fine.
3. The fire baptism makes us clean and holy before God.
There are 5 stages you will have to go through to be pure:
1. Washing level. This is where is starts, just like clothes have to go through the first bucket of laundry.
2. Cleansing level. After clothes have been washed, they have to go through another bucket of water for cleansing.
3. Santification level. This is the work of the Holy Spirit in us. He cautions us against paths where we should not tread, He corrects wrong and unpleasant attitudes etc.
4. Purification level.
This is heart cleansing or rather purification.
This is the level the scripture in Matt 5:8 refer to;
"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God."
5. Holiness Level
Be holy for the one who called you is holy.
Holiness is pursued. This means that a lot of work goes into this final stage.
Fire has to be involved for a believer to stand in holiness.
4. The fire of the Holy Spirit joins believers together in ministry.
Just like fire is used to join metals, our different fires should be used jointly to achieve whatever we set our eyes on in the Body of Christ.
5. The Fire of the Holy Spirit empowers.
Worldly leaders have power because of their positions. When we receive the Holy Spirit, we are given power and authority that enables us to overcome by being in control.
Acts 1:8 (a) tells us that we shall receive power after the Holy Ghost has come upon us.
By being empowered by the Holy Spirit, He takes us to another level in our prayer lives.
We ought to be prayerful for the reason that there are things unachievable without prayer i.e,
1. There are needs only prayers can meet.
Needs will remain needs until you have learnt to take them to God in prayer.
2. There are problems only prayers can prevent.
Prayers work to cut off problems however big. Pray through that problem.
3. There are hurts only prayers can heal.
There will be hurtful moments in this life that can possibly lead to bitterness if you are not careful. By the help of the Holy Spirit, pray to be healed.
4. There are battles only prayers can win.
As you pray, the fire of the Holy Spirit sets ablaze all manner of altars and foundations enabling you to win against attacks.