What you need to know about fasting.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT FASTING.
02 Sep 2020 | By Pst. Gitahi DanielFasting is a spiritual discipline taught in the Bible. God rewards those that fast sincerely. It is also mandatory for a believer to fast and in Matt 17:21 the Bible talks of certain kinds that do not leave but by prayer and fasting.
MAJOR PRINCIPLES OF FASTING
Fasting and PrayerFasting gives us more time for prayer. Fasting goes hand in hand with prayer. A prayerless period of fasting is better known as hunger strike God will only reward a believer who not only fasts but also incorporates a lot of prayer time in the fasting period. Acts 13:2 "While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.”
Fasting and faithFasting also goes hand in hand with faith. Seeking God's guidance over something then expressing your discontent over the same issue you have been trusting God for renders your prayers and fasting nearly useless. Fasting and Faith. 1. Faith overlooks the obvious senses. Faith sees what the eyes cannot, hears what the ears cannot hear etc. Fasting wars against our body members by weakening the flesh. 2. Faith works with the invisible by making it visible. It brings the unseen into sight. The scriptures define Faith as the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen (Heb 1:11) Fasting on the other hand takes us into the unseen realms of the spirit. If you desire something believe and use fasting as the means of transport that takes you to unlock the spirit. 3. Faith is believing what is not seeing by the natural while fasting births faith that pleases God. Do you have faith? Then fast. Do you fast? Make sure you do it in faith.
Fasting and forgivenessWhile preparing to go for a fast, let go bitterness and forgive those that have hurt you. Fasting while bitter about someone is also not going to yield results.
Fasting and Giving.While you are on your fasting duration, remember to give. A mean Christian who fasts will not obtain financial breakthrough. They will be powerful but then fasting does not solve financial issues. Give to the needy, support God's ministers, give offerings etc. (Isaiah 58:7) When God asked the Israelites to bring offerings unto Him, they brought so much that Moses had to stop them since it was more than enough. Be a Power- filled Christian that gives.
MAJOR REASONS WHY WE FAST:
1. Fasting creates more room for giftsIt is while they were fasting that the Holy Spirit asked Barnabas and Saul to be separated for the work which He had called them. If you feel like you have a gift or there is a spiritual assignment over your life that is yet to manifest, go on a fast and seek God's direction over the same.
2. Fasting releases God's supernatural power.Supernatural power is gained through fasting and prayer. A preacher or singer has to spend much time seeking God's face on an empty stomach if they desire to be powerful.
3. Fasting is a tool that we can use when there is opposition in our lives to God's will.When there is much opposition in your life, go on a fast meant to seek God's face. As a result, God will uplift you to greater heights and you will overcome test.
4. Fasting looses the chains of injustice and unties cords to set free the oppressed and break all yokes. (Isaiah 58:6)When you are sure there are foundations and evil altars in your home background, go on a fasting and prayer period to break the chains.
5. Fasting prepares us for God's answers.Moses fasted before receiving the ten commandments. Through the ten commandments, God was getting into a covenant with the Israelites. There are promises by God unto us that we must fast for. - The children of Israel fasted before a miraculous victory (2 Chronicles 20: 2-3) If you want victory in something say in business, fast and pray. - Nehemiah also fasted before beginning a major building project; rebuilding the wall of Jerusalem (Nehemiah 1:4) Fast before undertaking an assignment. - Daniel fasted inorder to receive guidance from God (Daniel 9:3) - Jesus fasted for victory over temptations.(Luke 4:2) As believers, we need to fast to have an upper hand when tempted. - The early Christians/ first Church fasted so as to make decisions that concerned them at the time. (Acts 13:2)Fast before making a major decision concerning any area of your life for instance when you want to enter into marriage.
6. Fasting is a form of Worship (Luke 2:36)Anna, at 84 years fasted to worship! Sometimes, believers should fast, not to ask for anything from God but to worship. It is a selfless act that God will reward.
7. Fast when preparing for Ministry.Jesus fasted for 40 for days before getting into ministry (Luke 4, Matt 4) Get into active ministry only after you have sought God's face in prayer and fasting.
8. Fast to repent (Jonah 3:10)Just like Jonah when he disobeyed God, fast when you need forgiveness for something that you have done.
9. To Gain Victory (Judges 20:26)The Israelites fated to gain victory over the Benjamites. The scriptures say that they wept till evening unto God and presented offerings. Want to be victorious in something? Fast and pray.
10. For Deliverance and Protection (Ezra 8: 21 -23)Ezra led the Israelites into a period of fasting and petition to seek God's mercy so that He would protect them from their enemies in the journey they were taking. The Lord answered them. <!--more
Arise! Fast and pray